8 Types of Massage: Which One is Best for Your Body?
The manual manipulation of muscular structure and soft body tissues of the human body which includes muscles, ligament, tendons and connective tissues is called massage therapy.
Massage therapy is an effective technique in preventive care, relaxation, injury prevention, regulation of hormones and the best way to enhance the functions of the lymphatic system.
There are several styles of body massages and choosing the best one for the body is a bit confusing. These are some of the most common types of massage:
1. Swedish massage: The most popular massage, it primarily aims to promote relaxation and, in this massage, therapist uses different types of strokes. This massage is ideal for people who are new to massage, take a lot of stress, and are sensitive to touch. It usually lasts long for 1-2 hours.
2. Deep Tissue massage: In this massage, the therapist focuses on deep-tissue or deep-muscles to relieve the tension from the deepest sub-layer of muscle and connective tissues. It also helps in relieving the tight muscle, chronic muscle pain and anxiety. In Deep tissue massage, more pressure is used than the Swedish massage. This massage may last from 30-90 minutes.
3. Hot Stone Massage: This massage is best for the people who have muscle pain or stress problem. Hot Stone massage is similar to Swedish massage, but instead of using hands, the therapist uses the heated stones. This therapy helps in easing the muscle tension, improving blood flow, relieving stress and lessening the pain.
4. Foot Massage: A foot massage focuses solely on feet. According to ancient beliefs, the foot reflexology prevents and cures many health problems. During the foot massage, reflex zones are manipulated and rubbed. Reflex zones are the pressure points located on the tips of hand and feet, they are directly rooted with the nervous system of the body.
5. Chair relax massage: The Chair relax massage is best for the people who want to have a quick massage as this type of massage only last for 10-30 minutes and focuses on neck, shoulder and back. The chair relax massage also promotes relaxation. The therapist applies medium pressure in this type of massage.
6. Trigger point massage: The tightness in the muscle tissue, known as trigger points, causes pain in different parts of the body. This massage is ideal for the people who have injuries or chronic pain as it focuses on relieving the trigger point to reduce the pain. This massage usually lasts for an hour.
7. Shiatsu: An ancient Japanese massage that helps in feeling more relaxed and better emotionally and physically. The massage helps to alleviate stress, tension and depression. In this massage, pulsing or rhythmic pressure is applied by the therapist.
8. Acupressure: In this therapy, the therapist uses the fingers to press key points on the surface of the skin. This therapy helps in improving the blood flow and it lowers the muscular tension. Massage therapy is probably the best way to feel physically, mentally and emotionally better.